42" Class Viera® S2 Series 1080p Plasma
42" Class Viera® S2 Series 1080p Plasma
42" Class Viera® S2 Series 1080p Plasma
- 1080 TV Lines Moving Picture Resolution
- VIERA Image Viewer™ (Photo)
- Clean Touch Bezel Design
- ENERGY STAR Qualified
- Model Type Plasma
- Series S2
- Model Year 2010
- VIDEO .
- Screen Size 42" Class (41.6" diagonal)
Contrast Ratio Native: 2,000,000:1
- Native Resolution (Number of Pixels) 2,073,600 (1,920 x 1,080)
- Moving Picture Resolution 1080 lines
- Shades of Gradation 6,144 equivalent
- HDTV Display Capability (1080p, 1080i, 720p) Yes
- EDTV Display Capability (480p) Yes
- Aspect Control Normal, Just, Zoom, Full, H-fill
- Full HD 3D No
- AR (Anti-Reflective) Filter Yes
- 600Hz Sub-field Drive Yes
24p Cinematic PlaybackNo
- 24p Playback(2:3) Yes
- Deep Color Yes
- x.v.Color Yes
- Studio Ref Mode No
- Pro Setting No
- ISFccc No
- 3D Color Management Yes
- Sub Pixel Control No
- Motion Pattern Noise Reduction Yes
- 600 Hz Sub-field Drive Yes
- AUDIO .
- Speakers Full-range x 2 (L, R)
- Number of Speakers 2
- Audio Output 20 W ( 10% THD )
- BBE® VIVA HD3D Sound No
- Surround Sound Yes
- INPUTS & JACKS .
- Integrated ATSC Tuner Yes
- VIERA Image Viewer™ Y (JPEG playback)
- HDMI Input 3 (1 side)
- Composite Video Input 2 (1 side)
- Audio Input (for Video) 2 (1 side)
- PC Input No
Component Video Inputs(Y, PB, PR) 2
- Audio Input (for Component Video) 2
- RS232C No
- Digital Audio Output 1
- HDMI Input-Support Feature Audio Return Channel (Input 1)
- Analog Audio Input ( for HDMI/DVI) Yes
- USB No
- LAN Port No
- CONVENIENCE .
VIERA Link™ Yes
VIERA Cast™ (IPTV) No
- VIERA® Tools Yes
- Game Mode Yes
- 3D Active Shutter Eyewear No
- Clean Touch Bezel Yes
- Pixel Orbiter (Anti-Image Retention) Yes
- Built-In Closed Caption Decoder Yes
- Off - Timers Yes
- Trilingual Menu English/Spanish/French
- GENERAL .
- Power Supply AC 120 V, 60Hz
- Rated Power Consumption 298 W
- Standby Power Consumption 0.3 W
- Energy Star Yes
- Receiving System ATSC/QAM/NTSC
- Operating Temperature 32°F - 104°F (0°C - 40°C)
- Safety Standard UL6500/C-UL
- Swivel Angle No
- Optional Wall-mounting Bracket TY-WK4P1RW
- SPECIFICATIONS .
- Dimensions (H x W x D) with Stand 27.8" x 40.6" x 12.1"
- Dimensions (H x W x D) without Stand 26.1" x 40.6" x 3.7"
- Weight (lbs.) w/Stand 55.1 lbs.
- Weight (lbs.) without Stand 50.7 lbs.
- Carton Dimensions 30.2" x 45.6" x 11.2"
- Gross Weight [lbs (kg)] 70.5 lbs.
TC-P42S2 is rated out of 5 by 12.
Rated 5 out of 5 by Anonymous from Premium TV Clarity is perfect. Plasma has a view that shows the black parts of a movie much better than non-plasma sets. Very impressed after owning it for over a year. Only small complaint is the sound quality is not as good as I'd like although very acceptable. The guy who said it had excellent sound quality in his review and said to not listen to our complaints has a home theater system installed so of course his sound quality would be much better. Duh
Date published: 2011-04-23
Rated 1 out of 5 by Anonymous from AFTER 1 YEAR IT STOPPED WORKING My husband and I bought this TV brand new, and have owned it for barely a year. It now doesn't work! It shut off by itself and now will not power back on. It only displays a black screen and the power light just blinks repeatedly. Research this issue on the Internet and you'll read what I'm speaking of. Of course it did this after the warranty was expired by FIVE DAYS. BUYER BEWARE, WE SPENT WAY TOO MUCH MONEY ON A TV THAT WILL COST US AS MUCH TO REPAIR AS WE PAID FOR IT! Very dissapointed.
Date published: 2011-04-21
Rated 4 out of 5 by Anonymous from Works Great Wanted to wait a little bit before I wrote a review of my Panasonic TC-P42S2 Plasma 42 inch TV. I word rate this TV at 4.5 out of 5 STARS. Pros: Picture, inputs, and price Cons: The sound speakers could be better. I have found that watching a HD TV program they are very good but watching a non HD recoded movie (DVD or VHS) they range from Average to Fair. With all the HD TV selections out in the market I am very glad to have brought model.
Date published: 2011-02-12
Rated 5 out of 5 by Anonymous from Better than my expectations- A+ This television has amazing picture quality, smooth motion decoding and a bright screen that rivals all but the best LCD and LED displays. Though there could be more sound quality hooking up surround speakers adds that extra kick to an awesome experience. I have to say, the clear picture and amazing color distribution is phenom. Love it, would buy again- Value is def. there.
Date published: 2011-01-19
Rated 4 out of 5 by Anonymous from Best Picture..... The Quality of this product is great. The picture is so clear and detailed I can see the lines on the ice from ice skates. The only thing I wish is the remote could also control the cable box and the sound system instead of having to switch between remotes.......
Date published: 2010-12-25
Rated 4 out of 5 by Anonymous from Panasonic TC-P42S2 Review Awesome Plasma HDTV. Picture quality is awesome, sound is great (don't believe negative reviews on sound). I use it with XBOX360 (w/Kinect), DVD player, Home theater surround sound system, I even hooked up my Desktop computer to this TV (using DVI to HDTV cable). This TV picked up more channels and has better reception than the Digital TV box I was using on my old CRT TV. Awesome value. The settings allow various picture modes from as bright as a LED LCD to power saving standard display.
Date published: 2010-12-16
Rated 5 out of 5 by Anonymous from Great TV and Great Value I bought this model about 3 months ago and have been very pleased overall. The color is phenomenal and the TV rocks hooked up to a blu-ray player. Only complaint is the sound quality is a little weak. However, this doesn't bother me becasue if you are looking to purchase a TV for home theatre use you are not going to be using the TV's speakers anyhow. For normal cable viewing the sound is just fine.
Date published: 2010-08-28
Rated 5 out of 5 by Anonymous from Love this TV I love this TV!! The beveled edge is a really nice feature on this TV - it does not reflect or show fingerprints. I also like the screen on this TV. It has an anti-reflective screen which greatly enhances viewing.
Date published: 2010-04-14
Firmware & Drivers FIRMWARE
- Version: 1.36
Fixes audio issues where the audio is garbled or muffled. This occurs when a device is connected via an HDMI cable. The issue is random and last approximately 3-5 minutes.
Closed Captioning stops displaying after some time when using Video 1 or Video 2 inputs. Closed Captioning returns once the TV is powered off, then on again.
- Release Date: 12-14-2009
- Operating Systems: windows/mac
How To Guided Tutorials
What should I do if my TV will not turn on and the power indicator LED is not flashing?Follow these troubleshooting steps:
- Make sure your TV's power cord is plugged into an electrical outlet.
- Make sure the electrical outlet the TV is plugged into has power by testing known working device in that outlet.
- After verifying the TV is plugged into a working outlet, try pressing the [POWER] button on the TV instead of the TV remote.
What should I do if the front Power indicator LED light is blinking?1. Unplug the TV's power cord.
2. Unplug all cables.
3. Power the TV using a different power outlet (do not use a power strip or surge protector).
If the problem persists, consider having the TV serviced. Click here for Panasonic Service Locator.
Note: Count how many times the LED light blinks. This can help a technician troubleshoot the problem.
What should I do if I get audio but no picture from an external device connected to my TV?
- Try unplugging the cable between the TV and the external device and reconnecting it firmly on both sides.
- Try unplugging the power cord of the external device for 30 seconds.
- Try connecting another external device to the same input using the same cable.
- If the picture returns on the second device, you may need to contact the manufacturer of the first external device you had connected for further troubleshooting.
- Try using a different cable between your device and the TV using the same input of your TV. If you get a picture and audio, you may need to replace your cable.
- Try another input of the TV to verify if there is an issue with the TV input the external device was connected to.
What should I do if I have bars displaying on the TV screen?Change the format (aspect ratio) of the picture by pressing the [FORMAT] or [ASPECT] button on the TV's remote control. If you still have bars, check the aspect settings on your external video source, such as Cable/Satellite box, DVD/Blu-ray Disc player, etc. Note: Some content, such as film-based movies, are available in extra-wide format. Top and bottom bars are unavoidable.