Panasonic A500: Point-of-View Wearable 4K Action Camera
- Waterproof and Dustproof
- 4K video resolution at 30p
- Level shot image stabilizer keep videos level on the go
- Built-in LCD to see what you are recording
- Includes VW-HMA100 head mount and SFC0147 armband case
- SD + Micro SD Cards
- Action Camera Accessories
- How to Connect to Ustream for Live Broadcast
- HX-A500: How To Setup DLNA
- HX-A500: How To Connect to An iOS Device using the Direct Connection method
- HX-A500: How To Connect to An Android Device using the Direct Connection method
- HX-A500: How To Connect to USTREAM for Live Broadcast
- HX-A500: How To Connect to USTREAM for Live Broadcast via Image App
- HX-A500: How to Connect to USTREAM for Live Broadcast via Image App Android
- HX-A500: How To Connect to An Android Device using NFC
- Image Sensor 1/2.3" BSI MOS Sensor
- Total Pixels 12.76 megapixels
- Effective Pixels
- Motion Image 9.03 megapixels [16:9] (Shooting Mode: Normal shooting mode, Pixels / Frame rate: 1920x1080/30p, Angle of view: Wide)
- Still Image 8.34 megapixels [16:9] (Shooting Mode: Picture Recording Mode, Angle of view: Wide)
- Lens Brand Panasonic Lens
- F Value F2.8
- Optical Zoom -
- Focal Length 3.4mm
- Angle of View Approx. 160˚ (Shooting Mode: Normal shooting mode, Pixels / Frame rate: 1920x1080/30p, Angle of view: Wide)
- Minimum focus distance Approx. 50cm
- Standard Illumination 1400 lx
- Minimum Illumination 6 lx , 1 lx (Color Night Rec.)
- Image Stabilizer Image Stabilizer, Level Shot Function
- Focus Fixed
- White Balance Auto / Indoor1 / Indoor2 / Sunny / Cloudy / White set
- Shutter Speed 1/30 - 1/12000
- Iris -
- Optical Zoom -
- Digital Zoom -
- Media (Motion / Still Image) micro SD / micro SDHC
- Recording Format MPEG-4 AVC file format compliant(.MP4)
- Recording Format Video Recording System MPEG-4 AVC/H.264
- Recording Mode [Normal Recording Mode]
- Recording Mode 3840x2160/30p (Max. 72Mbps / VBR)
- Recording Mode 1920x1080/60p (Max. 28Mbps / VBR)
- Recording Mode 1920x1080/30p (Average 15Mbps / VBR)
- Recording Mode 1280x720/60p (Average 15Mbps / VBR)
- Recording Mode 1280x720/30p (Average 9Mbps / VBR)
- Recording Mode 848x480/30p (Average 4.5Mbps / VBR)
- Recording Mode [Slow Motion Mode]
- Recording Mode 1920x1080/60fps/30p (Average 15Mbps / VBR)
- Recording Mode 1280x720/120fps/30p (Average 9Mbps / VBR)
- Recording Mode 848x480/240fps/30p (Average 4.5Mbps / VBR)
- Audio Recording System AAC
- Microphone Monaural
- Speaker Dynamic type
STILL IMAGE SECTION
- Recording Format JPEG (DCF/Exif2.2)
- Recording Image Size
- Still Image [16：9] 16.3M 5376 x 3024 , 8.3M 3840 x 2160 , 5.3M 3072 x 1728
- Simultaneous Recording -
- Creating Still Image from Motion Image -
- Intermitting Recording Yes (3 sec, 5 sec, 10 sec, 30 sec, 60sec)
- Flash -
- DPOF -
- Power Supply 3.7V (Battery) / 5.0V (Portable Power Supply*)
- Power Consumption Max. 4.5W (Recording) / 5.3W (Portable Power Supply*, Charging), 2.3W (PC, Charging)
- Without SD Card [Camera]Approx. 31g(0.069lb)
- Without SD Card [Body]Approx. 128g(0.282lb)
- With SD Card [Camera,Body and Cable] Approx.185g(0.408lb)
- Dimensions (W x H x D) [Camera]Approx.φ26.5 x 68.5 x - mm(1.04 x 2.70 - inch)
- Dimensions (W x H x D) [Body]Approx.59.5 x 94 x 26.7 mm(2.34 x 3.70 x 1.05 inch)
- LCD Monitor 1.5" Wide LCD monitor (115,200 dots)
- AV -
- HDMI -
- Microphones (Stereo mini) -
- Headphone (Stereo mini) -
- USB 2.0 Hi-Speed
- AV Multi -
- Standard Accessories
- AC Adaptor -
- AC Cable -
- DC Cable -
- Rechargeable Battery Pack 1450mAh(Built-in) / Lithium-polymer
- AV Multi Cable -
- AV Cable -
- IR Remote -
- Shoe Adaptor -
- USB Cable Yes
- SD Memory Card -
- Editing Software HD Writer WE2.0
- Lens Hood ‐
- Others Headmount, Headband, Armband Case
- Standard IEEE 802.11b/g/n
- Frequency 2.4 GHz band
- Tough Design
- Waterproof 3.0 m / 10 ft (IPX8 compliant)
- Dustproof Yes (IP5X compliant)
- NOTE * Portable Power Supply availability depends on the sales area.
- UPC 885170196162
Advanced Features Manuals
FAQsFrequently asked questions about your product
What should I do if my product needs service?
NOTE: This does not apply to TVs, Microwaves, Vacuums, and Massage Chairs
For repairs and exchanges:
Ship your product to:
Panasonic Factory Service Center
4900 George McVay Drive
Suite B; Door-12
McAllen, TX 78503
Please include your name, address, telephone number, email address, copy of your purchase receipt (for warranty service), and a description of what is wrong with the unit. Freight collect shipments will not be accepted.
Panasonic is not responsible for damage that occurs in transit. All contents should be packaged for safe travel to the service center. Customer should use a reputable small package shipping company that is able to provide a package tracking number and insurance (if customer should so desire to insure their package).
Units that are abused, damaged, infested with insects, have corrosion, etc. will be placed out-of-warranty.
Once your unit arrives at the facility, you may contact us for status at:
Toll Free: 1-866-907-9111
Please reference your Service Job number when contacting You will be contacted if there is any cost you are responsible for.
Where can I order parts for my product?
You can order parts and accessories for your machine from our Parts & Accessories Department at 1-800-833-9626.
Where can I find the firmware for my device?
Click here and enter your model number into the Get Support Now search box. Once your model appears, click on the "Support" link under the picture of your model. This will bring you to the Support Page for your model. If there are any firmware updates available for your model, they will be located under the Drivers & Downloads tab. If there is no Drivers & Downloads tab, your device's firmware is up to date.
What size SD Card can I use in my Camera?
Cameras with a manufacturing date of 2006 or before can use Standard Sd Cards ( 2GB Max ) only. Models manufactured from 2007 thru 2009 can use Standard SD Cards and SDHC Cards ( Max 32GB ) Cameras Manufactured 2010 and later can use all SD Cards up to and including SDXC cards (64GBMax ).There is no firmware update that willincrease the maximum size of the SD Card for allowable usage.
What size and type memory card can I use in my camcorder?
Panasonic camcorders use a SD (Secure Digital) card. There is the Standard SD, and also the SDHC (Secure Digital High Capacity), and SDXC (Secure Digital eXtended Capacity) Card Formats that can be used.
- In 2007, camcorders can use up to a maximum of 4GB SDHC Card.
- In 2008, camcorders can use up to a maximum of 8GB SDHC Card.
- In 2009, camcorders can use up to a maximum of 32GB SDHC Card.
- In 2010 to current, camcorders use up to a maximum of 64GB SDXC Card.
Depending on the specific model of your camcorder. Refer to the owner's manual for the type of card to be used. Recording video also requires a fast memory card and so Class 6 cards up to the newer Class 10 cards are recomended.
What is the the difference between "Maximum continuously recordable time" and "Actual recordable time"?
The actual recordable time refers to the time that is recorded when repeatedly starting/stopping recording, turning the unit on/off, moving the zoom lever etc. The maximum continiously recordable time refers to the recordable time when recording without pause, powering on/off etc.
What is NFC?
NFC (Near Field Communication) is a short range wireless RFID technology that uses interacting electromagnetic radio fields instead of the typical direct radio transmissions used by technologies such as Bluetooth.
- There are vertical/horizontal lines in my LCD screen. What do I do?
- The LCD screen on my camera is blank. What do I do?
- My lens cover won't open or close. What do I do?
My camera won't power on. What can I do?
If you have a second battery, try it to see if you can power on the camera. If you don't have an extra battery and you're sure the battery you have is fully charged then the camera may need to be serviced. Click Here.
Is this model camcorder compatible with Mac OS X?
Yes, the camcorder is compatible with the Mac OS. You will be required to use iMovie11 in order to import the videos, however any videos recorded in 1080/60p is not compatible with iMovie.
Is there any software for the Max that will work with the camcorder?
Yes, you would be able to use iMovie for videos and iPhotos for pictures.
Is the supplied software compatible with Windows 8?
Yes, the software supplied with the camcorder is compatible with Windows 8 OS.
I saw a notice on Panasonic's web site that a firmware update was available for my camera. What is a "firmware update" and is it important that I install it?
Panasonic may occasionally add a new feature to the camera, or if we discover a minor problem after the camera started selling Panasonic may issue new firmware to make the necessary changes. Any new firmware release includes a description of the changes it makes. If you are having the problem it corrects, or if you want to add the new feature, follow the instructions and install the update. You should always begin the firmware update usong a fully charged battery.
I have used the wrong charger cable, now my camcorder doesn’t turn on. How can I fix this?
You will be required to send it to our Service Center to have the camcorder repaired. Click the below link and submit a new repair request. http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/RequestCenter?storeId=15001&catalogId=11017
How do I transfer images from my wearable camera to an iOS device? (HXA100,HXA500)
To learn how to do this, Click Here
How do I resolve a "Check card" error message when inserting a micro SD card with adapter in the camcorder?
Make sure that the micro SD card is placed correctly in the adapter. There might be a compatibility issue with the SD card and the camcorder. It is recommended that you try another card to see what exactly the issue is with the camcorder.
How do I fix my LCD screen when it is freely swinging in and out while in use?
You will be required to send it to our Service Center to have the camcorder repaired. Click the below link and submit a new repair request. Click Here
How do I combine two scenes, because when I pause the video when recording it creates a different scene?
You are able to combine both of the scenes into one by using the HD Writer software that is provided with the camcorder. To use the software however, you will require an Operating System no earlier than Windows XP
How do I assemble and wear the head mount and armband on the HXA500?
The A500 comes with an easy-to wear armband case and head mount. Having the Main Unit on your arm makes it comfortable to control the camera while shooting.
Watch this video to learn how to assemble and properly wear the armband and head mount.
How can I use a smartphone as a Wi-Fi Hotspot (Tethering)? HX-A500H
How can I register for the warranty of my product?
You may register your products online by clicking here. It is not necessary to submit this form in order to effectuate the limited warranty. As long as there is a copy of the receipt, your product warranty begins from the date of purchase.
How can I compare the features of the new camcorders?
Go to the Shop site, select Cameras & Camcorders from the dropdown menu.Select Camcorders from the list. Place a check mark in the box above the camcorders you wish to compare (you can compare up to 4 items at once) Click on "Compare" at the top of the page.
Does this camcorder support 64GB SDXC cards?
Yes, this camcorder does support 64GB SDXC cards.
Does this camcorder support 5Ghz wireless signal?
No, this unit only supports 2.4Ghz wireless signals.
Does this camcorder have a firmware upgrade?
There is no firmware available for this camcorder.
Do I need a USTREAM account to use the Live Cast feature?
Yes, please go to www.ustream.tv to create an account. You will also need a Lumix Club account, which you can create by navigating to Wi-Fi setup on your camcorder.
Can this camcorder operate only with the AC adapter?
Yes, the camcorder can operate using only the AC adapter.
Can the HX-A500 shoot 4K compatible video?
Yes, you can shoot 4K video in 3840x2160/30fps.
Can the camcorder record in 24P mode?
Can I use my smartphone to control the HX-A500?
Yes, with the Panasonic Image App.
Can I transfer videos without connecting the camcorder to the PC?
Yes, you can transfer vidoes and still pictures using Wi-Fi.
Can I add additional Web Services to my Lumix Club Account?
Yes you can add Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Picasa, Flickr, and Ustream.
Am I able to record with this camcorder for a continuous 3 hours? Also, am I able to record with a LCD screen closed using a smartphone or tablet to operate?
Yes, the camcorder is capable of continuous recording for 3hrs if the camcorder is connected to an AC adapter and there is sufficent recordable space available on the memory.