LUMIX DMC-SZ8 16 MP 12X Zoom Compact Digital Camera - Black
- Get close or go wide with 14mm ultra wide-angle lens
- Share with smartphone or tablet via wireless feature
- Add creativity to photos with HD video with creative filters
- Play back images with bright 3.0" LCD
- Replacement Accessories
- Cases, Bags + Straps
- How To Upload Pictures to YouTube.
- Digital Still Cameras - Connecting to a Mac
- How to Import Pictures Using iPhoto Software
- How To Upload to YouTube.
- How to Connect your Camera to a Wireless Network Using the WPS ( Push Button ) Method.
- How to Format Sd Card and Internal Memory for Compact Cameras
- How to Take Better Photos
- How to Import pictures using Photo Gallery
- How To Upload to Flickr.
- How To Upload to Picasa.
- How To Upload to Twitter.
- How to Create a LUMIX Club Account.
- How To Upload to FaceBook
- How to Send Images Stored in the Camera to a Mac.
- Dimensions (W x H x D) 99.8 x 60.4 x 26.5 mm / (3.93 x 2.38 x 1.04 inch)
- Weight Approx. 144 g without Battery and SD Memory Card (0.32 lb) / Approx. 159 g with Battery and SD Memory Card (0.35 lb)
- Camera Effective Pixels 16 Megapixels
- Sensor Size / Total Pixels / Filter 1/2.33-inch CCD Sensor / Total Pixel Number 16.6 Megapixels / Primary Color Filter
ApertureF3.1 - 6.3 / 2-step (F3.1 / 7.8 (W), F6.3 / 16.3 (T))
Focal Lengthf = 4.3 - 51.6mm (24 - 288mm in 35mm equiv.) / (26 - 314mm in 35mm equiv. in 16:9 video recording)
- Extra Optical Zoom (EZ) 16.9x (4:3 / 8M), 27.0x (4:3 / under 3M)
- Intelligent Zoom 24x
- 2- Speed Zoom -
- Optical Image Stabilizer/Five Axis Correction O.I.S. (On / Off) / No
Digital ZoomMax. 4x
- Conversion Lens Compatibility -
- Focusing Area Normal / Intelligent Auto / Motion Picture: Wide 3 cm - infinity / Tele 150 cm - infinity
AF Assist LampYes (On/Off)
- AF Metering Face / 1-area / 9-area
- Shutter Speed Approx. 8 - 1/2000 sec / Starry Sky Mode: 15, 30, 60 sec
- File Format Still Image: JPEG (DCF/Exif2.3) / Motion Picture: QuickTime Motion JPEG
- Recording Modes
- Mode Dial / Mode Button Intelligent Auto, Normal Picture, Panorama Shot, Scene, Creative Control
- Creative Control mode Expressive, Retro, Old Days, High Key, Low Key, Sepia, Dynamic Monochrome, Impressive Art, High Dynamic, / Cross Process, Toy Effect, Miniature Effect, Soft Focus, Star Filter, One Point Color (15 filters)
- Still Image Scene Mode Portrait, Soft Skin, Scenery, Sports, Night Portrait, Night Scenery, / Food, Baby1*, Baby2*, Pet*, Sunset, High Sensitivity, Glass Through, HDR, Starry Sky / * Birthday only.
- Continuous Shooting Mode Full-Resolution Image (Unlimited Consecutive Shooting): 1.2 frames/sec / High-speed Burst: Approx. 3 frames / sec / (recorded in 3M for 4:3, 2.5M for 3:2, 2M for 16:9, 2.5M for 1:1)
- Motion Picture Recording (*2)
- HD Video 1280 x 720 pixels, 30fps (HD / Motion JPEG)
- STD Video 640 x 480, 30fps (VGA / Motion JPEG) / 320 x 240, 30fps (QVGA / Motion JPEG)
- High Speed Video -
- Continuous recordable time (motion pictures)
- AVCHD -
- MP4 -
- Actual recordable time (motion pictures)
- AVCHD -
- MP4 -
- Exposure Parameters
ExposureAuto (Program AE)
Exposure Compensation1/3 EV step, +/-2 EV
- Auto (AE) Bracketing -
- Light Metering Intelligent Multiple
ISO SensitivityAuto / i.ISO / 100 / 200 / 400 / 800 / 1600 / High Sensitivity Mode (ISO1600 - 6400)
- Picture Quality
- Still Picture Recording [4:3] 4608x3456 (16M) / 3264x2448 (8M EZ) / 2048x1536 (3M EZ) / 640x480 (0.3M EZ) / [3:2] 4608x3072 (14M) / 3264x2176 (7M EZ) / 2048x1360 (2.5M EZ) / [16:9] 4608x2592 (12M) / 1920x1080 (2M EZ) / [1:1] 3456x3456 (12M) / 1536x1536 (2.5M EZ)
- Image Quality -
White BalanceAuto / Daylight / Cloudy / Shade / Incandescent / White Set
- Photo Style / Film Mode -
- Color Mode / Color Effect / My color -
- Aspect Bracketing -
- Digital Red Eye Correction (Red-Eye Removal) Yes (On/Off)
- GPS -
- Wi-FI IEEE 802.11b/g/n / 2412 MHz – 2462 MHz (1-11 ch) / WPA / WPA2 / Infrastracture Mode / WPS / Wi-Fi Button
- NFC -
- Zoom in Motion Picture Yes
Self Timer2 sec / 10 sec
- Self Shot Mode -
Playback ModeNormal Play, Slide Show, Category Selection, Calendar
- Thumbnails / Zoomed Playback 12,30-thumbnails / Yes
- Calendar Display / Dual- Image Playback Yes (Menu / Zoom Lever) / No
- Set Favorites / Rotate Image No / No
- Show Histogram -
- Show Highlights -
- DPOF Print Setting / Set Protection No / Yes
- Retouch Creative Retouch
- Resize / Cropping / Aspect Conv. / Leveling Yes / Yes / No / No
- Copy / Title Edit / Text Stamp Yes / No / No
- Cut Animation -
- Video Divide -
- PictBridge Support Single / Multi / All
- OSD language English, Spanish
LCD Monitor3.0" (7.5cm) TFT Screen LCD Display (460K dots) / Field of View: Approx. 100% / Power Monitor mode, AUTO Power Monitor mode, High-angle Mode
- Built- in- Flash Auto, Auto/Red-eye Reduction, Forced On, Slow Sync./Red-eye Reduction, Forced Off / 0.6 - 5.2m (Wide / ISO Auto), 1.5 - 2.6m (Tele / ISO Auto)
- Recording Media Built-in Memory, SD Memory Card, SDHC Memory Card, SDXC Memory Card
- Built- in- Memory Approx. 80MB
- Microphone / Speaker Mono / Mono
- Battery life (approx.) 200 pictures (CIPA Standard)*1
- Standard Package
- Included Software * The DMC-SZ8 Operating Instructions for advanced features is available for downloaded at Panasonic LUMIX Customer Support Site using PC, smartphone or tablet connected to the Internet. / * The software for PC is not bundled with DMC-SZ8. Please use the software pre-installed to the PC or other general image viewing software to browse pictures.
- Standard Accessories Battery Pack, AC Adaptor, USB Cable, Hand Strap
- NOTE *1 / Recording conditions by CIPA standard / - Temperature: 23 oC (73.4 oF) / Humidity: 50%RH when LCD monitor is on. / - Using a Panasonic SDHC Memory Card / - Using the supplied battery. / - Starting recording 30 seconds after the camera is turned on. (When the optical image stabilizer function is set to [ON].) / - Recording once every 30 seconds with full flash every second recording. / - Rotating the zoom lever from Tele to Wide or vice versa in every recording. / - The number of recordable pictures varies depending on the recording interval time. / - If the recording interval time becomes longer, the number of recordable pictures decreases. / - CIPA is an abbreviation of [Camera & Imaging Products Association]. / *2 / - Use a card with SD Speed Class with "Class 6" or higher when recording motion pictures. SD speed class is the speed standard regarding continuous writing. / - Motion pictures can be recorded continuously up to 2 GB. / - The maximum available recording time for up to 2 GB only is displayed on the screen.
- UPC 885170180789
FAQsFrequently asked questions about your product
What should I do if my product needs service?
NOTE: This does not apply to TVs, Microwaves, Vacuums, and Massage Chairs
For repairs and exchanges:
Ship your product to:
Panasonic Factory Service Center
4900 George McVay Drive
Suite B; Door-12
McAllen, TX 78503
Please include your name, address, telephone number, email address, copy of your purchase receipt (for warranty service), and a description of what is wrong with the unit. Freight collect shipments will not be accepted.
Panasonic is not responsible for damage that occurs in transit. All contents should be packaged for safe travel to the service center. Customer should use a reputable small package shipping company that is able to provide a package tracking number and insurance (if customer should so desire to insure their package).
Units that are abused, damaged, infested with insects, have corrosion, etc. will be placed out-of-warranty.
Once your unit arrives at the facility, you may contact us for status at:
Toll Free: 1-866-907-9111
Please reference your Service Job number when contacting You will be contacted if there is any cost you are responsible for.
My camera won't power on. What can I do?
If you have a second battery, try it to see if you can power on the camera. If you don't have an extra battery and you're sure the battery you have is fully charged then the camera may need to be serviced. Click Here.
Is this a multi-standard camera where I could select between NTSC and PAL video recording in menu?
No. Cameras sold by Panasonic in the US conform to the NTSC video format used here. Cameras sold abroad would conform to the video standard used in their respective regions.
I'm using the iA mode on my Panasonic camera. Sometimes the photos aren't coming out as good as I feel they should. What should I do?
iA (Intelligent Auto) modes are created to improve specific shooting conditions assuming certain conditions exist. It's possible that one scene can be similar to another and the scene mode would not provide the optimum results. In such cases, we suggest using the "P" Program mode. Digital photography allows the customer to see the end product immediately, without the cost of film processing and printing.
I'm having problems transferring photos via Wi Fi directly to my computer.
In the majority of cases the difficulty lies with the sharing attributes of the folder to which you are attempting to send photos to, and/or a mismatch in the computer's network name. First, check to see if you installed the PhotofunStudio software that came with your camera. During the installation, you will be asked if you want to create a "Lumix Share"folder. Answer "YES". This will automatically set the sharing attributes of this folder to allow sharing with an external device, the camera in this case. If you have not installed it, please install it now. Next, when Windows is installed it automatically creates a "workgroup"and gives it a default name of WORKGROUP. If the you changed this name, the camera must be changed to match the new name. This is done from the camera's WiFi setup menu. Finally, after both of the above have been checked, please reset all the WiFi settings back to their default values. Once this has been done, create a new connection.
If a SDHC, SDXC Memory Card is used for continuous video recording, will it stop recording when it reaches 4GB?
In AVCHD video recording, the file will be divided, but it will not stop recording video. However, in MP4 video recording, recording will stop when 4GB is reached.
I saw a notice on Panasonic's web site that a firmware update was available for my camera. What is a "firmware update" and is it important that I install it?
Panasonic may occasionally add a new feature to the camera, or if we discover a minor problem after the camera started selling Panasonic may issue new firmware to make the necessary changes. Any new firmware release includes a description of the changes it makes. If you are having the problem it corrects, or if you want to add the new feature, follow the instructions and install the update. You should always begin the firmware update usong a fully charged battery.
I need software for my PC in order to import my photos.
This camera is designed to work with the photo software that comes with Microsoft Windows and the iOs operating systems. No special software is required.
How do I update the PHOTOfunSTUDIO software that came with my camera?
If you have the original software, PHOTOfunSTUDIO x.x or PHOTOfunSTUDIO x.x HD, that came with this camera you can update to the latest version by clicking here, scrolling down to the PHOTOfunSTUDIO section, and selecting your version.
How do I transfer video from my camera to my PC?
Here is how to transfer video to your PC.
- The power on both the camera and PC should be on. Connect the camera to the PC with a USB cable.
- Open the PhotoFunStudio program.
- Click on the "Copy to PC" icon.
- Click on the Icon representing your camera.
- Click the "Next" button.
- A check mark will appear in the corner box of all thumbnails selected for transfer.
- Click "Next".
- The next screen will allow you to choose the destination folder.
- Click "Execute" to move on.
- Click "Yes" to verify.
- The video is now being transferred.
- When the video has completed its transfer click "Close".
- Click "Yes" to verify.
- If you wish to play a video double click it.
How do I take pictures using the aperture priority mode?
To learn how to do this, Click Here
How do I reset the folder and picture number?
Go into the "Setup" menu and scroll until you reach "Rec. Reset" or "No. Reset" and follow the reset procedure there.
How do I reset my digital Camera ?
* To reset your camera, first make sure your camera is not in the iA mode.
- Press the [Menu/Set] button to bring up the Menu screen
- Highlight the "Setup" icon
- Press [Menu/Set]
- Scroll through the "Setup" pages until you highlight "Reset"
- Press [Menu/Set] again follow the screen prompt to highlight "Yes"
- Press [Menu/Set]
Note: Some cameras will have a second prompt (do the same) until you have returned to the "Setup" page.
You have now reset the camera.
How do I remove or insert my SD Card and battery in my compact camera?
To learn how to do this, Click Here
How do I know when my Digital Still Camera battery is fully charged?
When a battery is inserted into a Panasonic charger a green steady light will appear. When the green light goes out, the battery is completely charged, and ready to use in the camera. A blinking GREEN LED indicates a charging problem. The battery can be "shorted", though more often it is caused by a battery that is too hot or too cold. The battery should be allowed to come to room temperature before charging. Also, if the battery is 100% discharged, the blinking condition will subside after the battery has been on the charger for 10-15 minutes. If the condition persists, the battery should be replaced.
How do I insert/remove the SD card or battery?
The SD Card slot and battery compartment are located next to each other. They can generally be found on the bottom or side of the camera behind the door labeled "Memory card/battery". If you need more assistance please click here for Help & Tutorials.
How do I correct "system error zoom"?
This error message indicates an internal problem and would require service. Click Here.
How do I check for the existing firmware version of my camera?
For cameras made over the past 3 model years press "menu", go into the "tools" menu and scroll the options. Towards the end of the list is a feature that can be selected. On older models there is no way for the user the read the version.
How do I change the picture size in my camera?
To change the file size of your picture please follow these instructions.
- Turn the camera on.
- Put the camera into the "REC" mode.
- Press the "Menu/Set" button to access the menu.
- Highlight "Picture Size" and press the "Right" button.
- Select the file size you wish by highlighting it and press the "Menu/Set" button.
- Press "Menu/Set" again to exit the menus.
How do I attach the strap to the camera body?
Put the small string through the metal bar and loop the rest of the camera strap through the small string.
How can I set my camera's text stamp?
The following steps will set the text stamp in the camera.
- Please turn on the camera.
- Press the [Menu/Set] button on the back.
- Press the [▲] button to enter the "Playback" menu.
- Press the [►] button with the "Playback" icon highlighted.
- Press the [▼] button to highlight "Text Stamp"
- Press the [►] button to access the sub menu.
- Choose "Multi" or "Single" and click the "Menu/Set" button
- Find the photo(s) you want to have stamped and press the "Menu/Set" button.
- In the "Text Stamp" menu go down the list to make your selections for the information you want stamped on the photo(s).
- The screen will have a menu asking for approval to stamp the photo(s). Highlight and press "Yes".
- Please wait while the photo(s) are being stamped.
- Press the [Menu/Set] button to exit all menus.
How can I set my camera's aspect ratio?
To set the camera's aspect ratio, perform the following steps.
- Please turn the camera on.
- Press the "Menu/Set" button to see the menu.
- Press the "Right" button to move into the "REC" menu.
- "Aspect Ratio" should now be highlighted, Press the "Right" button to access the sub menu.
- Select the aspect ratio you want and press the the "Menu/Set" button.
- Press the "Menu/Set" button to exit all menus.
How can I resize my photos in PhotoFunStudio?
To resize your photos, perform the following steps.
- Open "PhotFunStudio" program.
- After program opens click on the "Edit" icon at the top.
- Select "Resize" in the drop down menu.
- Click on select all. That will place a check mark in all boxes.
- Click on the "Next" button.
- Use the "Up/Down" arrows to the left in the to "Expansion/Reduction ratio" section to adjust how much you want to enlarge or reduce the picture(s).
- Click on the "Execute" button to continue.
- Click on the "Yes" button to begin the resize.
- Please wait for the process to complete.
- Click the "OK" button to continue.
How can I register for the warranty of my product?
You may register your products online by clicking here. It is not necessary to submit this form in order to effectuate the limited warranty. As long as there is a copy of the receipt, your product warranty begins from the date of purchase.
How can I download video to a MAC?
Connect to your Mac with the USB cable and import with iMovie 11.
How can I copy photos to my PC?
To copy photos to your PC, perform the following steps.
- Launch the "PhotoFunStudio" program.
- After the program has opened click on the "Copy to PC" icon.
- Click on the icon of the connected device.
- Please wait while photos are imported.
- The pictures showing will be imported when you click "Next".
- Choose the save destination by clicking on the "Browse save destination folders" then click on the "Execute" button.
- Click "Yes" to continue.
- The images will be copied to the destination folder on your computer.
- When transfer is complete click on the "OK" button.
- Click on the "Close" button to exit the "Copy to PC" wizard.
- Confirm you want to exit by pressing "Yes".
How can I check the status of my camera repair?
You can check the repair status of your camera by clicking on the link below and entering your email address and password. Click Here or contacting our Call Center at 1-800-211-7262.
English is not my native language and I've noticed that Panasonic's cameras sold in the U.S. only support English and Spanish. How can other languages be added?
Unfortunately, they can't. The languages are embedded into the microprocessor, and selected for each regional version of our cameras. A note of warning - do not attempt to load firmware intended for another region into your camera. It will not change the available languages and it may seriously damage your camera. Such damage is not covered under the product warranty.
Does this camera us SDXC memory cards?
Yes, it can use standard SD cards, SDHC cards, and SDXC cards.
Does digital red-eye correction and intelligent D-range control work while shooting in 3D?
No, because there may be instances when the right and left images have a different effect.
Do you supply software for Mac OS10?
We regret to inform you that Apple support is not provided with this product.
Do I get software with my camera?
PHOTOfunSTUDIO 8.0 LE (Windows XP/Vista/7). This software allows you to copy still pictures or motion pictures to a computer and sort the copied pictures by their recording date and time, model name of the digital camera used, or other attributes. You can write pictures to a DVD, create a Slide Show using your preferred music or effects and so on before saving it to a DVD.
Can you connect this camera to my TV?
Yes, with the supplied cable.
Can this camera take video?
Yes. This unit can record motion pictures in either AVCHD or MP4 formats.
Can this camera take pictures with the Date stamp set to on?
Yes, you can pre set the camera to stamp the date and time prior to taking the pictures, but if you do this information can not be removed at later date.
Can I use larger (4GB or more) SDHC or SDXC cards in my camera?
Yes, you may use a SD card that is 4 GB or larger.
Can I use larger (4GB or more) SDHC or SDXC cards in my camera?
Unfortunately not. The transition from SD to SDHC, and from SDHC to SDXC also required some hardware redesigns.
Cameras that are compatible with SDHC will have the SDHC logo on the camera body. 2010 models compatible with SDXC cards will have the SDXC logo on the camera body. More info on the various types of SD cards can be found at http://www.sdcard.org/home/
Can I upload to YouTube or Facebook?
Using the uploading tool ([LUMIX Image Uploader]), you can upload still pictures andmotion pictures to image-sharing websites (Facebook or YouTube).
Can I go back and time stamp my photos after I have copied them to my PC?
If the photo was not modified in any way (including renaming it) you should be able to copy it back to the original location on the SD card and use any feature the camera would offer. Once the photo was modified or altered, this would not be possible.
Can I charge the camera/battery via USB?
Yes, if your model is listed below. Connect the USB cable to the camera and the included AC adapter and plug in to outlet for charging.
DMCSZ8K, DMCZS15K, DMCZS15R, DMCZS15S, DMCZS19K, DMCZS19KCP, DMCZS20K, DMCZS20R, DMCZS20S, DMCZS20W, DMCZS35K, DMCZS35W, DMCZS40K, DMCZS40S
Are cameras sold in the U.S. covered by an International Warranty?
Generally, no. Some cameras sold abroad are sold with an international warranty. In order for the warranty to be valid, the proof of purchase must show that the camera was purchased in a country that offers products with international warranties. "Gray Goods", foreign versions purchased in the U.S. would generally not have a valid U.S. warranty, and in some cases even obtaining an out of warranty repair could be a problem when parts are not available.
Why didn't I receive software with my camera?
From customer feedback, we've learned that most customers prefer the photo editing software provided with Microsoft Windows (Windows Movie Maker) and the Apple iOs program, iMovie. The still photo and motion video formats used by these cameras are compatible with these software programs. No special software or drivers are required.
Where do I find drivers for my iPad?
An iPad will not need drivers.
Where do I find drivers for an Android tablet?
You will not need drivers for your Android. You will however need a way to transfer your photos from your camera to your tablet, as well as an application that will allow you to read and display your photos.
Where can I order parts for my product?
You can order parts and accessories for your machine from our Parts & Accessories Department at 1-800-833-9626.
Where can I find the firmware for my device?
Click here and enter your model number into the Get Support Now search box. Once your model appears, click on the "Support" link under the picture of your model. This will bring you to the Support Page for your model. If there are any firmware updates available for your model, they will be located under the Drivers & Downloads tab. If there is no Drivers & Downloads tab, your device's firmware is up to date.
What is Intelligent D-range Control?
In addition to the suppression of blocked shadows, the Intelligent D-range Control also minimizes the blown highlight using gamma curve after identifying the area intelligently. Both extreme shadow and highlight are moderately compensated.
- There are vertical/horizontal lines in my LCD screen. What do I do?
- The LCD screen on my camera is blank. What do I do?
- My lens cover won't open or close. What do I do?
My LCD screen is cracked. Can it be repaired or replaced?
Yes the LCD screen can be repaired, but accidental damage is not covered under warranty so there will be a charge. To get more help and information please click here.
My camera's lens won't extend or retract. What do I do?
Remove the battery and replace it. If this does not correct the issue then the camera will need to be serviced. Please click here for more assistance.Click Here.