LUMIX® DMC-SZ1 16.1 Megapixel Digital Camera
This item is currently not available.
- 25mm Ultra Wide Angle LEICA DC Lens with 10x Powerful Optical Zoom
- HD Video Recording in MP4 Format
- Mega O.I.S. (Optical Image Stabilizer)
10x Optical Zoom in a Slim Body
The DMC-SZ1 features a powerful 10x optical zoom lens (35mm camera equivalent: 25-250mm). This gives you highly natural expressions from people and animals that you can't get close to. And its slim, compact body can easily go wherever you go – for both everyday snapshots and traveling. In addition, this single camera lets you record 10x optical zoom in video recording.
20x iA Zoom (Intelligent Zoom)
The iA Zoom (Intelligent Zoom) is an extensive zoom function using digital zoom, however, you can even draw the subject 2x closer than the original optical zoom with minimum deterioration of image quality thanks to the Intelligent Resolution technology. This means the 10x optical can virtually extend to 20x equivalent.
25mm Ultra Wide-angle Lens
The 25mm ultra wide-angle lens* has about twice the shooting area as a standard 35mm lens. This enhances all kinds of shooting situations, like when you're photographing a group of people at an indoor party or shooting a large structure or sweeping landscape while traveling.
*Converted to standard 35mm camera equivalent, at the wide-end.
New LEICA DC VARIO-ELMAR Lens System
The new high-quality LEICA DC lens system is even more versatile with 25mm ultra wide-angle to powerful 10x optical zoom (35mm camera equivalent: 25-250mm). Comprising 9 elements in 7 groups including 4 aspherical lenses with 6 aspherical surfaces, adoption of ultra thin lens for its new structure optical system makes the unit's overall length short to fit in the slim body despite its versatile zoom range from ultra wide to telephoto.
Passing Leica's stringent standards, the DMC-SZ1 boasts exceptional optical performance with stunning clarity with minimum distortion and flare.
MEGA O.I.S. (Optical Image Stabilizer)
The MEGA O.I.S. (Optical Image Stabilizer) compensates for the blurring caused by hand-shake. Even slight hand-shake movement is accurately detected by a sampling frequency of 4,000 times per second, and compensated to produce sharp, clear images.
The MEGA O.I.S. is effective for scenes like these.
In Dimly Lit Rooms
Zoom Shots / Macro Shots
MP4 Format Recording
The MP4 format is suitable for editing videos on a computer or uploading those to websites. The DMC-SZ1 can record 1,280 x 720 HD videos at 30p (NTSC).
Formats to Match Your Needs
MP4: Optimal for viewing or editing on a computer.
10x Optical Zoom in Video Recording
The 10x optical zoom lets you zoom up close to subjects that you can't actually approach, even when shooting videos. This single camera will capture both photos and videos of highly natural expressions from people and animals, dynamic sports scenes and countless other situations, exactly as you see them.
In Miniature Effect Mode, the video recorded is played back in 10x fast-forwarding making it more comical to watch*.
* Sound will not be recorded with Miniature Effect and approximately 1/10 of the time period is recorded. (If you record for 10 minutes, the resulting motion picture recording will be approximately 1 minute long)
These functions are also available.
Versatile Video Function: The iA (Intelligent Auto) Mode and Scene Mode are available in video recording.
Still Image Recording: It is possible to take still image while recording video simultaneously*.
* The picture size is fixed to 3.5-megapixel (16:9).
Video Divide: You can divide a single video into two parts using only the camera.
Fun Functions – Shooting
The Miniature Effect Mode in which the peripherals are defocused while saturation and contrast is emphasized to look the picture like a diorama.
Panorama makes it possible to shoot a horizontal / vertical panoramic image with consequent shots taken by overlaying the previous image.
The Auto Retouch function adjusts contrast and brightness to give different impression to the photo with just a press of a button. Appropriate retouch is automatically applied depending on the image – if the image was shot too dark, it can be clear and bright to look it nicer with this function.
These functions are also available.
4 Aspect Ratios: In addition to 4:3, 3:2, and 16:9, you can shoot with a 1:1 aspect ratio.
Sonic Speed AF (SZ1)
The Sonic Speed AF and a quick start-up time give the DMC-SZ1 super high-speed response that helps to catch even the most fleeting photo opportunities.
Once you focus on your subject, the AF Tracking automatically tracks it until you press the shutter. When you're taking images of an active subject, like children or pets, this function eliminates the need to press the shutter button halfway down repeatedly to readjust the focus.
High-speed Burst Mode (SZ1)
The DMC-SZ1 lets you snap off consecutive shots at approx. 1.3 fps in 16.1-megapixel full-resolution*4. You can also select High-speed Burst Mode that fires off up to approx. 10 fps with 3-megapixel resolution*5, which is highly sufficient for photo prints.
*1 The number of recordable images depends on the memory card size and battery life.
*2 Max. 4 images. The focus, exposure and white balance are fixed with the first picture for the burst.
*3 Max. 100 images.
*4 Max. 100 images. The focus is fixed with the first picture for the burst.
*5 In 3-megapixel (4:3), 2.5-megapixel (3:2), 2-megapixel (16:9) or 2.5-megapixel (1:1) recording. Max. 15-100 images. The focus, exposure and white balance are fixed with the first picture for the burst. The consecutive shooting speed varies depending on the memory card.
These functions are also available.
Fast Start-up Time: The parallel processing of software achieves ultra high-speed start-ups.
Flash Burst Mode: You can take consecutive flash shots without having to wait for the flash to recharge*.
* Max. 5 images. In 3-megapixel (4:3), 2.5-megapixel (3:2), 2-megapixel (16:9) or 2.5-megapixel (1:1) recording.
iA (Intelligent Auto) Mode
In the iA (Intelligent Auto) Mode, the camera does all the work, leaving you free to compose shots and capture moments in both photo and video recording. The Intelligent Resolution technology, 20x iA Zoom (Intelligent Zoom) and Intelligent Burst are always activated in the iA Mode.
Shake Detection - MEGA O.I.S.*1
Gyrosensors detect hand-shaking and the O.I.S. lens shifts to compensate, helping prevent blurring caused by hand-shaking.
Motion Detection – Intelligent ISO Control*1
The Intelligent ISO Control function detects subject movement and automatically adjusts the ISO setting and shutter speed to best suit the movement and light conditions.
Face Detection - Face Detection AF/AE*1
The Face Detection function detects faces anywhere in the frame and automatically chooses the optimal focus and exposure. The Face Detection also features the Digital Red-eye Correction (Red-eye Removal) in photo recording.
Subject Detection AF Tracking
Once you focus on your subject, the AF Tracking automatically and continuously tracks it and keeps it in focus and proper exposure.
Scene Detection - Intelligent Scene Selector*4
The Intelligent Scene Selector senses the ambient conditions and automatically selects one of Scene Modes: Photo (Scenery, Portrait, Macro, Night Portrait*5, Night Scenery, Sunset or Handheld Night Shot), Video (Scenery, Portrait, Macro or Low Light).
The Happy Mode optimizes color, saturation and brightness to make images more vivid and true to the color of the scene you remember.
Light Detection - Intelligent Exposure*1
The Intelligent Exposure corrects the brightness in parts of the image that are too dark due to insufficient lighting, backlighting or use of the flash. This produces natural images that are close to the way they actually look to the human eye.
*1 The MEGA O.I.S., Intelligent ISO Control, Face Detection AF/AE, and Intelligent Exposure are automatically turned on in the iA Mode and can be turned on or off in the Normal Picture Mode or some Scene Modes.
*2 The picture size may be reduced.
*4 With some subject and shooting conditions, it is just not possible to judge the best shooting details. When this happens, it is recommended that you shoot with the Scene Mode that best suits your purpose.
*5 In the iA Mode, the Night Portrait is not identified when the flash is turned off.
3.0-inch, 230,000-dot High-resolution LCD (SZ1)
The DMC-SZ1 features a 3.0-inch, 230,000-dot high-resolution Intelligent LCD.
This function is also available
Battery Life: The energy-saving Venus Engine and the efficient, rechargeable lithium-ion battery lets you take approx. 250 shots (SZ1) on a single battery charge*. The DMC-SZ1 complies with USB power charging in addition to the conventional AC power supply.
* Based on the CIPA standard.
Built-in Memory 70MB: The built-in memory provides extra memory when your memory card fills up.
LUMIX Image Uploader
You can upload images to Facebook™ (photos) and YouTube™ (videos) with simple operation.
* LUMIX Image Uploader starts up automatically on the computer the supplied software "PHOTOfunSTUDIO Ver. 6.0" or later is installed.
In other case, start up the menu by double-clicking the file “LUMIXUP.EXE" in the folder below:
[My Computer] > [Removable Disk] > DCIM > AD_LUMIX (Windows)
• Facebook is a registered trademark or trademark of Facebook, Inc.
• YouTube is a registered trademark or trademark of Google Inc.
The PHOTOfunSTUDIO 8.0 Standard (SZ1) Edition makes it possible to sort and organize photos not only of those newly taken but also of those stored in your computer with quick start-up and fast read-in of images.
Recorded videos can be edited with the Short Movie Story function and written into MPEG2 to burn onto a DVD disc. You can also enjoy making photo and video slideshows with a variety of effects and use your iTunes music library as background music.
This function is also available
- Dimensions (W x H x D) 99.0 x 59.4 x 21.0 mm / (3.9 x 2.4 x 0.9 inch)
- Weight Approx. 114g without Battery and SD Memory Card (0.26 lb) / Approx. 131g with Battery and SD Memory Card (0.30 lb)
- Camera Effective Pixels 16.1 Megapixels
- Sensor Size / Total Pixels / Filter 1/2.33-inch CCD sensor / 16.6 Total Megapixels / Primary Color Filter
ApertureF3.1 - F5.9 / 2-Step (F3.1 / 9.0 (W), F5.9 / 16.0 (T))
Focal Lengthf=4.5-45.0mm (25-250mm in 35mm equiv.) / (27-270mm in 35mm equiv. in video recording)
- Extra Optical Zoom (EZ) 12.6x (4:3 / 10M), 18.0x (4:3 / 5M), 22.5x(4:3 / under 3M)
- Intelligent Zoom 20.0x
- Lens LEICA DC VARIO-ELMAR / 9 elements in 7 groups / (4 Aspherical Lenses / 6 Aspherical surfaces)
Optical Image StabilizerMEGA O.I.S. (Off / On)
- Focusing Area Normal: Wide 50 cm - infinity / Tele 150 cm - infinity / Macro / Intelligent AUTO/ motion picture: Wide 5 cm - infinity / Tele 150cm - infinity
AF Assist LampYes
- Focus Normal, AF Macro, Zoom Macro / Quick AF (Always On), Continuous AF(only for motion picture) / AF Tracking
- AF Metering Face / AF Tracking / Multi (23pt) / 1pt
- Shutter Speed approx. 8 - 1/1600 sec
- File Format Still Image: JPEG(DCF/Exif2.3) / Motion picture: MP4
- Mode Dial / Mode Button Intelligent Auto, Normal Picture, SCN, Miniature
- Still Image Scene Mode Portrait, Soft Skin, Scenery, Panorama, Sports, Night Portrait, Night Scenery, Food, / Baby1, Baby2, Pet, Sunset, High Sensitivity, Glass Through, Photo Frame
- Continuous Shooting Mode Full-Resolution Image, 1.3 frames/sec Max. 100 images / High-speed Burst Mode: approx. 10 frames/sec / (recorded in 5M / 3M for 4:3, 2.5M for 3:2, 2M for 16:9, 2.5M for 1:1) Max. 15-100 images
- Motion Picture Recording (*2) [HD Video] 1280 x 720 pixels, 25 fps (HD: 10Mbps / MP4) (Sensor output is 25P) / [STD Video] VGA: 640 x 480 pixels, 25 fps (4Mbps / MP4)
- MP4 (Continuous recordable time [motion pictures]) approx.90 min
- MP4 (Actual recordable time [motion pictures]) approx.45 min
Exposure Compensation1/3 EV step, +/-2 EV
- Light Metering Intelligent Multiple
ISO SensitivityAuto / i.ISO / 100 / 200 / 400 / 800 / 1600 / High Sensitivity mode (ISO 1600-6400)
- Still Picture Recording [1:1] 3456x3456(12M) / [4:3] 4608x3456(16M) / 3648x2736(10M EZ) / 2560x1920(5M EZ) / 2048x1536(3M EZ) / 640x480(0.3M EZ) / [3:2] 4608x3072 (14M) / [16:9] 4608x2592 (12M)
White BalanceAuto / Daylight / Cloudy / Shade / Incandescent / White Set
- Color Mode / Color Effect / My color Color Mode : Standard, Black&White, Sepia, Vivid(in normal / video), Happy (only in iA Mode)
- Digital Red Eye Correction (Red-Eye Removal) Yes
- Zoom in Motion Picture Yes
Self Timer2sec / 10sec
Playback ModeNormal Playback, Slideshow, Filtering Playback (Category, Favorites), / Calendar Playback
- Thumbnails / Zoomed Playback 12,30-thumbnails / Yes
- Calendar Display / Dual-Image Playback Yes / No
- Set Favorites / Rotate Image Yes / No
- DPOF Print Setting / Set Protection Yes / Yes
- Resize / Cropping / Aspect Conv. / Leveling Yes / Yes / No / No
- Copy / Title Edit / Text Stamp Yes / No / Yes
- Video Divide Yes
- PictBridge Support Single / Multi / All / Favorites / DPOF
- OSD language English, Spanish
LCD Monitor3.0"(7.5cm) TFT Screen LCD Display (230K dots) / Field of View : approx. 100% / AUTO Power LCD mode, Power LCD mode, High Angle Mode
- Built-in-Flash Auto, Auto/Red-eye Reduction, Forced On, Slow Sync./Red-eye Reduction, Forced Off, / 0.6 - 5.6m (Wide/i ISO), 1.5 - 2.9m (Tele/i ISO)
- Recording Media Built-in Memory, SD Memory Card, SDHC Memory Card, SDXC Memory Card
- Built-in-Memory Approx.70MB
- Microphone / Speaker Mono / Mono
- Interface AV Output (NTSC), USB2.0 High speed
PowerLi-ion Battery Pack (3.6V, Minimum: 680mAh) (Included) / AC Adaptor (Input: 110-240V AC)(Included, connect with USB cable)
- Battery life (approx.) 250 pictures (CIPA Standard)*1
- Included Software PHOTOfunSTUDIO 8.0 Standard Edition / Adobe Reader
- Standard Accessories Battery Pack, AC Adapter, AV Cable, USB Cable, Hand Strap, CD-ROM
- NOTE *1 / Recording conditions by CIPA standard / - CIPA is an abbreviation of [Camera & Imaging Products Association]. / - Temperature: 23 oC (73.4 oF)/Humidity: 50%RH when LCD monitor is on. / - Using a Panasonic SD Memory Card (32 MB). / - Using the supplied battery. / - Starting recording 30 seconds after the camera is turned on. (When the optical image stabilizer function is set to [ON].) / - Recording once every 30 seconds with full flash every second recording. / - Rotating the zoom lever from Tele to Wide or vice versa in every recording. / - Turning the camera off every 10 recordings and leaving it until the temperature of the battery decreases. / - The number of recordable pictures decreases in Auto Power LCD Mode and Power LCD Mode. / *2 / - These are standard times taken at a temperature of 23 oC (73.4 oF) and a humidity of 50%RH. / - The time available for recording varies depending on the environment, the interval between recordings, and the manner of use. / - Actual recordable time is the time available for recording when repeating actions such as switching the power supply [ON] / [OFF], starting/stopping recording, zoom operation etc. / *3 / - Motion picture in [MP4] can be recorded continuously for up to 29 minutes 59 seconds. / - Also, motion picture recorded continuously in [MP4] is up to 4 GB.
- How to Shoot using Aperture Priority
- How to Format SD Card/Internal Memory
- How to Remove/Insert SD Card/Batteries
- How to Install Software
- How to Take Better Photos
- How To Transfer Pictures from Your Digital Camera to a Windows Computer
- How To Transfer Pictures from Your Digital Camera to a Mac Computer